Hey Everyone!
When I started this blog I intended for it to be more than just an account of my adventures. This has led to posts that are few and far between and don't really give an idea of what I have been up to this semester. So I've decided to take this opportunity to catch everyone up on what they really come here to see, pictures. At least I know that's why I read National Geographic.
Disclaimer: I am by no means claiming that my photos are on par with their's. They may be crooked, slightly out of focus, taken though dirty windows, or just not that interesting. However they may be the most amazing pictures you have ever seen. So I apologize in advance it they do not meet your epicurean tastes or if they exceed them.
Maselnitsa Celebration - Here are some pictures of the park we went to. Unfortunately, I've forgotten which one it is and it was so cold I didn't take many photos there.
| In the distance you can see the city. It gave a new perspective to everything. |
| Walking along a path in the park with some of our Russian friends. |
We went to the Pushkin Museum of foreign art. They have a huge collection of statues as well as some paintings. Here is a view from outside the exit
| On the way back to the metro. In the distance is Christ the Saviour Cathedral. |
Last week we toured a mushroom farm. It was a little over an hour drive there, but it took nearly four hours to get back. They say that we have really experienced Russia now that we have been in a Moscow traffic jam. I'm pretty sure it would have been faster to walk.
| Mushrooms grow in huge trays that are stacked to optimize the space. |
| Our Russian friends told us this is a hot water heating plant, I'm going to go with Chernobyl. Helps explain why it took so long to get back to Moscow. |
| I'm guessing this is the Russian equivalent of "Wash Me", or it's gang graffiti. Who knows. |
We ventured to Tsaritsino in the southern part of Moscow where Catherine the Great built her summer home in Moscow. Due to budget constraints, it wasn't finished being built until recently. Personally I find it a little plain, but maybe it is more awe-inspiring in the summer : )
| Small cathedral on the grounds. |
| We stopped for lunch at a little cafe, ate some blini, and spent the next two hours laughing hysterically. We're pretty sure that it wasn't actually powdered sugar on top. |
So that's what I have been up to lately, at least the things I have pictures from. Once Flicker finishes uploading some more pictures, I'll setup a slideshow of our latest adventure to Се́ргиев Поса́д, Sergeiv Posad, the home of a medieval monastary.
Karlie! THE MUSHROOM PLACE LOOKED AWESOME :) outside of the fact that mushrooms are disgusting but anyways.. I'm glad you're having fun!
ReplyDelete